Measuring your first stockpile volume
When it comes to streamlining accurate measurement and report creation, Propeller has a number of templates designed to help you calculate common measurements you need on site.
To quickly measure stockpiles, we recommend using the Stockpile template in Measurements. It uses the smart volume method to calculate the volume of your pile.
If you have have overlapping piles, an uneven base, or constrained stockpiles, skip to Measuring stockpiles: Uneven bases, overlapping material, and designs.
How to measure a stockpile volume:
- From the Polygon Tool, select the Stockpile Template.
- Draw a tight outline around the stockpile by clicking your mouse at a number of points around the edge of the pile. To close the outline, double-click your mouse.
- The stockpile volume will appear in the left-hand menu.
Save time by duplicating measurements across multiple datasets.
Measurements from a previous dataset can easily be used as a starting point for your latest survey, removing the need to repeat the process every time you upload a new dataset.
Copy measurements to a new dataset
You can copy the outline of a measurement by clicking Duplicate or you can copy measurements to any specific survey using Copy to Dataset. The outline of the copied measurement will appear at the exact same coordinates on the dataset it was copied to. Propeller will automatically recalculate any measurement, such as volume, based on the surface of the dataset it has been copied to.
How to copy measurements from another survey
- Select the measurement or group of measurements you want to duplicate. Example: stockpiles in a stockyard or the grade of a particular road.
- From the measurement actions list select Copy → Copy to Dataset → then click the name of the dataset you want to copy the measurement to.
- A copy of the measurement will now be available on the selected survey.
Calculating mass and dollar value from material properties
Material Properties help you easily calculate the volumes and value of the inventory you have on site.
Select Material Properties in the Stockpile Template to add and edit the type, cost, and density for any material you have on site. You can then add these properties to any measurements you calculate.
All the materials you’ve added can be found in the dropdown menu.
Learn more about setting up and creating reports with material properties at Material Properties.