Digital elevation models (DEMs) can be stored as GeoSoft Grid (GRD) and GeoTIFF files.
Propeller does not take in or output GRD outputs. However, you can convert to GeoTIFF and vice versa if your other software packages only use GRD.
Uploading GRD to Propeller: You'll need to convert the GRD file to a GeoTIFF file before you can upload it.
Downloading a GRD file from Propeller: You can download the DEM in the GeoTIFF format that Propeller provides and create a GRD file using other software.
This article will walk you through how to perform these conversions in QGIS.
Note: If you have access to ESRI ArcGIS, there are also options in this software to convert to and from these formats. Furthermore, GRD files have many different versions and defines, this article is checking with Golden Software .GRD files.
- QGIS on your computer. Don't have it? Follow these instructions to install it.
Instructions - DEM TIFF to GRD
1. Load the GeoTIFF into QGIS by either:
- Dragging and dropping onto QGIS,
- Use the "Add Raster Layer" function from "Layer" menu:
2. Export the DEM by navigating to "Raster" > "Conversion" > "Translate":
3. In the export options you can choose the format of GRD file you need:
4. You're done!
Instructions - GRD to DEM TIFF
Same as above, but translate to GeoTIFF file format.
I still can't do it!
We wrote these articles to arm you with everything you need to get the job done on your own, but we understand that sometimes this isn't sufficient.
If you're stuck, the Propeller data specialists team can help for an hourly consulting rate. Email us at email@example.com or talk with us right now from the chat bubble and we'll do our best to help.