This article will walk you through how to convert DWG/DXF to GeoTIFF using Global Mapper.
- Global Mapper on your computer. Don't have it? Purchase it from their website.
1. Launch Global Mapper.
2. Import DXF/DWG as a layer.
3. Select the correct projected coordinate system that the file is in when prompted.
4. In the top menu bar navigate to Analysis > Create Elevation Grid from 3D Vector Data.
5. Enter a description and click OK.
6. Right click on the layer that was created (it is called "Elevation grid" by default) and export it as a GeoTIFF by navigating to "Layer" > "EXPORT - Export Layer(s) to New File...", selecting "GeoTIFF" and clicking OK.
7. Follow the prompts and ensure that the output file type is a 32 bit signed float (near the top of the options window). Click OK.
8. You're done! The resulting file should be a DEM in the format we require that can then be uploaded for processing like any other terrain.
I still can't do it!
We wrote these articles to arm you with everything you need to get the job done on your own, but we understand that sometimes this isn't sufficient.
If you're stuck, the Propeller data specialists team can help for an hourly consulting rate. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or talk with us right now from the chat bubble and we'll do our best to help.