Which microSD Cards Can I Use With My Survey Drones?
A slow SD card can result in missing images from your survey.
SD card quality can vary greatly between models (regardless of the advertised speed). Since the drone is flying quickly with a high overlap, you can end up trying to save photos to the SD card faster than it can actually save them. This results in missing images from the survey data, which can be a big problem if it happens too often.
Because of the importance of this decision, and the sheer number of options and fine print out there, we've built a list of models we've tested and know are up to the challenge of drone surveying while not breaking the bank.
Micro SD cards:
- Sandisk Extreme 32GB UHS-3 V30 MicroSDHC
- Sandisk Extreme 64GB UHS-3 V30 MicroSDXC
- Sandisk Extreme Plus 32GB UHS-3 V30 MicroSDHC
- Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB UHS-3 V30 MicroSDXC
- Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB UHS-3 V30 MicroSDHC
- Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB UHS-3 V30 MicroSDXC
- Panasonic 32GB UHS-3 MicroSDHC
- Panasonic 64GB UHS-3 MicroSDXC
If you can't find these models - the micro SD card should support a fast write speed of up to 90 MB/s, and will typically have a UHS-3 rating.
- The maximum supported capacity is 128GB for most drones, check your specific drone before purchasing the wrong card.
- Typically cards 32GB and under need to formatted as FAT32, and cards greater than 32GB need to formatted as exFAT.
- If you are using a Phantom 4 RTK and your mission only captures a few photos each time, check the 100Media folder. If this folder has images in it that should have been captured during the mission then you likely have an issue with the write speed of the card. A temporary solution is to fly the same mission at a slower speed until you can test another micro SD card out.
I still can't do it!
We wrote these articles to arm you with everything you need to get the job done on your own, but we understand that sometimes this isn't sufficient.
If you're stuck, the Propeller hardware support team may be able to help. You can contact our support team by emailing email@example.com.