DirtMates are automatically configured to connect to the proprietary Propeller DirtMate network broadcast by Network Gateways, as well as to a WiFi network called "propeller" with the password "propeller." You can set up DirtMates to connect to custom networks with different credentials from the defaults listed above using the steps below.
DirtMates can only be configured for one custom network at a time.
- The network name cannot be longer than 32 characters.
- The network password cannot be shorter than 8 characters or longer than 63 characters.
- We are unable to connect DirtMates to enterprise networks. Any network that requires a web browser to sign in will not work with DirtMates.
Setting up a custom hotspot
DirtMates must be associated with a site in order to configure them with a custom WiFi network. All actions are completed in the DirtMate app.
1. In the DirtMate app, navigate to the Site tab. In the top right corner, select the settings gear.
The settings allow you to configure any networks associated with the site, as well as the base coordinate for the site.
2. Find the area of the page for “Networks on-site” and tap the ADD button.
3. You will be prompted to add either a SITE WIFI network or a PROPELLER NETWORK. Select SITE WIFI to add a custom network to connect DirtMates.
4. A screen with network requirements is displayed. After reviewing, click NEXT.
5. You will now be prompted to add the network credentials for the DirtMates you wish to connect.
Make sure you connect to a network that is using the 2.4GHz network band, not 5GHz.
6. After entering the network credentials, you have the option to verify the network credentials now or continue with the setup at a later time. To proceed with setting up DirtMates, tap START NEXT STEP.
DirtMates must be “online” to be configured with the new custom WiFi credentials.
7. You can select the entire fleet of DirtMates to configure or select specific DirtMates from within the fleet. At least one DirtMate selected must be online to proceed to the next step.
8. CONFIRM that you want to proceed with setting up DirtMates with the custom network. The system will now attempt to connect the selected DirtMates to the custom network credentials.
9. If the DirtMates are able to successfully connect to the new network, you will receive a confirmation that they have connected successfully, and a green checkmark will appear next to the network name. If the validation fails, a red X will appear next to the network name. If the connection fails, the app will provide recommended troubleshooting steps.
I still can't do it!
We wrote these articles to equip you with everything you need to get the job done on your own, but we understand that sometimes this isn't sufficient.
If you're stuck, the Propeller support team may be able to help. You can contact our support team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by clicking the support tab on the top-right corner of the portal.